Most of the merchants
With whom I spoke
Were unreasonable,
Made unreasonable demands. That
Was reasonable, something
I could well understand.
We casually discussed their daily bread.
I uttered phrases such as
"I"ve never seen an antiqued charm bracelet.",
"The subject matter is tragicomic,
And weirdly medieval." and
"It"s important to buy locally.".
One young woman suggested that
My coffee would be less depressing with
One of her homemade brownies. What
Was depressing was that
My coffee was cold.
Later, I thought
"But my coffee was cold.", then
"But it wasn"t that cold.".
What was cold was
To not have bought that brownie,
To have thought
"But I ought not have bought that browny.".
That was brawny.
That was ballsy.
That was saying
"If we don"t buy locally
This community may disintegrate." and
Later, privately, "Everybody
Is trying to make a buck.".
Thursday, December 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment